Call Us Today: 818-788-1003

Frequently Asked Questions

How do we evaluate children and adults?

 A skilled qualified assessor will determine which formal and informal evaluation procedures are needed to identify strengths and weaknesses in the suspected area of need. We will identify a professional treatment plan that is workable for each special individual and their family. The plan will be implemented in the home, hospital or office setting during the weekdays, after school, evenings, and on Saturdays. Since each case is unique, the best way to get started is to call us at (818) 788-1003.

What costs does insurance cover?

Insurance covers services that are considered medically necessary and frequently can be used for speech therapy, occupational therapy, and behavior intervention services.  SLEA has a dedicated insurance specialist who will work closely with each family to answer your questions and verify coverage of your plan.

What are early signs of autism?

Children with autism generally have problems in three critical areas of development — social interaction, language and behavior. Autism symptoms and severity vary greatly, so two children with the same diagnosis may act differently and have different skills.

What are the ABA services and how will my child benefit?

The behavioral intervention services provided by SLEA incorporate the scientifically proven principles of Applied Behavior Analysis to provide high quality services to children with developmental disabilities and their families. SLEA staff and the family create a team of support for the child to maximize their potential and to enhance the lives of the family. SLEA can provide your child with speech and language, behavior intervention, and educational services. To learn more - call 818-788-1003 and talk to our Behavior Program Manager.

What are the services provided by a Speech Pathologist?

Speech Language Pathologists are experts in the field of communication disorders. Our primary objective is to improve clients' functional communication at home, in school, with peers and in the community. SLEA's clinicians have proven success utilizing treatment and instructional activities that are meaningful and aligned with each individual's preferences, values and needs. All of our Speech Language Pathologists are licensed or credentialed by the state of California and most hold the ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP), which requires a master's, doctoral, or other recognized post baccalaureate degree.

How would a Speech Pathologist help with accent modification?

With the help of a Speech Pathologist, hard work, and practice you can learn how to change your speech pronunciation. The Speech Pathologist will evaluate your sound pronunciation (consonants and vowels) and your stress, rhythm, and intonation. After all this information has been collected, the Speech Pathologist will determine what changes can be made to modify your accent and improve overall communication.

My child is stuttering. What should I do?

Many young children go through a brief stage of dysfluent speech or "stuttering", especially during toddler and early preschool years when their language skills are expanding very quickly.  If stuttering persists for more than a few months, it is wise to seek the professional guidance of a Speech Language Pathologist.  It is most important to do this right away if your child seems to have an awareness or concern about his or her speech.  Our SLEA Speech Pathologists have specialized training and knowledge in this area and will perform an evaluation to determine a treatment plan to increase fluency.  Call us at 818-788-1003 today!

How does aging affect voice disorders?

As we grow older, we may lose some of our ability to communicate. Knowing the facts can prevent or reduce the impact of this loss. A speech-language evaluation may assess your speech production, oral-motor abilities, listening comprehension, verbal expression, reading, writing, and cognitive communication. A swallowing evaluation looks at a person's ability to safely swallow food and liquid without it entering into the person's airway. Based on the results, a speech-language pathologist may recommend therapy to improve speech language or swallowing abilities. 

What is dysphagia and how is it treated?

Difficulty swallowing (dysphagia) means it takes more time and effort to move food or liquid from your mouth to your stomach. The causes of swallowing problems vary, and treatment depends on the cause. 

What are the services provided by an Occupational Therapist?

Occupational Therapy is meant to help people across the lifespan participate in the things they want and need to do through the therapeutic use of everyday activities. Our occupational therapists educate and support families so that they can help their children with disabilities to participate fully in school and social situations.  Helping individuals recover from injury and supporting older adults who experience physical and cognitive changes to successfully navigate everyday activities are other vital services offered by occupational therapists.

What are the services provided by an Educational Therapist?

Educational therapy is different than tutoring in that tutoring focuses only on homework while educational therapy emphasizes relearning an academic skill according to the student's learning difference. Educational Therapy offers children and adults with learning differences a wide range of intensive individualized interventions designed to remediate learning challenges.

What is dyslexia? What can be done to help?

Dyslexia is a learning disorder characterized by difficulty reading. Also called specific reading disability, dyslexia is a common learning disability in children. Dyslexia occurs in children with normal vision and intelligence and at times is not diagnosed until adulthood. Educational Therapy offers children and adults with learning differences a wide range of intensive individualized interventions designed to remediate learning challenges.